South Orange, NJ – After being on the road the past two weekends, the Seton Hall baseball team is back home this weekend for the important BIG EAST series against Creighton at Mike Sheppard, Sr. Stadium on Friday at 6 p.m.
Saturday’s game is scheduled for 2pm and Sunday’s game will start at 12 noon. Senior Day will follow Saturday’s game.
Seton Hall is 25-22, 7-8 in the Big East with six league games remaining. Currently fifth in the conference standings, the Buccaneers are just one game behind Georgetown for fourth in the Big East standings. The top four teams qualify for the BIG EAST Tournament at Plasco Park in Mason, Ohio. Creighton currently sits third in the BIG EAST with a 9-6 record.
Pitching Probability (Subject to Change)
Friday: Nick Payero (Monroe, NJ) vs. Dominic Cancellieri
Saturday: Dan Frontera (Red Bank,. NJ) vs. Ryan Windham
Sunday: TBA with Justin Kleinzog
news and notes
- The Buccaneers have won three of the five BIG EAST series this season.
- Seton Hall trailed the Blue Jays 9-23 in the all-time series, but won the final game 10-9.
- In 2021, the Buccaneers and Blue Jays will part ways for the last time when they face off in South Orange.
- Hall has won six of its past nine games, the old Mike Shepard Stadium, and is 12-7 this season at South Orange Stadium.
- The Buccaneers had 18 points in the series over No. 9 UConn, but fell short of a win.
- Daniel Frontera Saturday had arguably his best start of the season, allowing just three hits and five strikeouts in nearly six innings of no runs.
- Advanced Oscar Murray (Brentwood, Calif.) Continued his breakout season against the Huskies, going 6-for-12 from the field with eight hits in 15 games.
- After going 5-for-13 at UConn last weekend, redshirt Junior devon hack (Somerville, NJ) is now shooting .450 (27 of 60) against BIG EAST.
what a difference a year
- After a disappointing 2022 season in which the Buccaneers missed their first BIG EAST tournament since 2010, Seton Hall had no choice but to advance in 2023.
- With new assistant coaching staff, including great players from Seton Hall Joseph Pappagio and Ryan Ramizthe Buccaneers have improved a lot on the mound and on the boards.
- Seton Hall has 25 wins this season, the most since winning 30 games in 2018.
- As a team, Seton Hall has hit more home runs (32), scored more (300) and stolen bases (86) than last season.
- The Buccaneers had the most home runs at 32 since the team hit 38 in 2001.
- The last time Seton Hall scored more than 300 points was in 2016, when the Buccaneers finished with 305.
- After posting a team ERA of 6.38 in 2022, the Buccaneers have a staff ERA of 4.76 for the season.
Vieira on watch list for Brooks-Wallace Prize
- primary Max Vieira (Greenwood Lake, NY) was named to the Brooks Wallace Award watch list for one of the top shortstops in the country on April 18.
- Vieira, who will return to freshman All-American form this season, led the team with 38 RBIs, 15 doubles and 60 hits while hitting .331 and stealing 21 bases.
back to steal base
- Seton Hall is back to stealing highs this season as the Buccaneers rank second in the Big East and 34th nationally with 86 stolen bases.
- Harker led the Buccaneers in scoring with 24, and he was the perfect player to go 24-for-24 this season.
- Viera and redshirt junior Gail (Scotch Plains, NJ) tied for second at the club with 22 stolen bases.
- The Buccaneers have some young arms on the pitching corps that have had a solid freshman season.
- lead the way Michael Gillen (Rochelle Park, N.J.) was second on the team with 15 appearances and a .40 ERA in 22.2 innings.
- Gillen has an eye-popping 25-to-2 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
- newborn Ryan Empire (Selinsgrove, Pa.) Appeared in 13 games and tied for third on the team with 31 strikeouts.
- newborn Anthony Elie (Glenside, Pa.) had a strong midweek game as he made four starts and went 1-0 with a 2.29 ERA in 19.2 innings.
Mention Sources Can Request us to Edit This Article